Coming off of consecutive victories (and clean sheets) in the league Tottenham Hotspur enter this weekend with an opportunity to climb further up the table thanks to a trip to the DW Stadium to play Wigan Athletic. The Latics are sitting in 15th place in the table, which doesn't mean much at this point. Wigan opened the season by playing all three relegated teams and they earned their only five points from those games. Since then Roberto Martinez's side has lost back-to-back matches to Manchester City and Everton.
1) Wigan are the youngest club in the Premier League this season. The Latics were formed in 1932.
2) Wigan have been in the English Premier League since 2005. Despite constantly flirting with relegation the Club has never actually made the drop, unlike West Ham. Additionally, in the history of Wigan as a League side the Club has been relegated only once, in 1989-90 after finishing 23rd in the old third division.
3) The Latics don't score much. Last season the Club scored 40 goals in 38 league games and through five games this season, they've managed 4 goals. Last season's top scorer, Charles N'Zogbia, now plies his trade at Aston Villa and second top scorer Hugo Rodallega won't be fit for this game. Franco Di Santo as been in good form this season and has two goals already. He'll provide Wigan's major attacking threat.
4) Ali Al Habsi is really quite good. The Omani goalkeeper was Wigan's Player of the Season last year while on loan from Bolton Wanderers. Al Habsi basically single-handedly kept Wigan in the top flight. This summer he joined Wigan permanently for £4 million. He only allowed three goals against Manchester City, which is pretty good when you consider who he has in defense in front of him.
5) In 2009, Tottenham Hotspur beat Wigan 9-1 at White Hart Lane (here's the highlights). Jermain Defoe scored five goals in that game, because we were playing a bad team and Defoe only scores against bad teams. Yes, Liverpool fans, he scored against you. Take a second and think about that. I wouldn't expect a result like that this Saturday, but a guy can dream, right?