I wanted to make a post where we could gather all the recipes from CFC in one place and then report back on how they worked out. I have numerous recipes that I love, but I tried to restrict it to ingredients that you could get almost anywhere out of respect to our members all over the world. Being from New Orleans, I was going to go with gumbo or étouffée, but I thought those ingredients would be too hard to find so I went with red beans and rice. Let me know if anyone wants those or any other recipes.
There's only one rule of CFC Cookbook, don't talk about
CFC Cookbook BBQ.
Smart Car's Red Beans and Rice
- Soak the red beans (I use Camellia, one pound, dried) overnight in a bowl or pot (but not the crock pot).
- The next day, put the ham bone in the crock pot. Chop and sauté an onion and pepper.
- Drain the beans and add them to the crock pot with the sautéed onion and pepper.
- Add 1-2 tbsp worcestershire sauce and add water to cover the beans. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on high (depending on your crock pot).
- Remove all the bones (and any excess fat) and shred the meat.
- Add 4-8 dashes of hot sauce and 2 tsp of "Tony Chacere's" or more of each to preference (the Tony's recipe is approx 2 tbsp of celery salt, 1 tbsp of paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, 2 tsp cayenne, and 1/2 allspice).
- Sauté a pound of smoked sausage (kielbasa in a pinch) and add to the pot.
- Cook rice (I prefer brown, but any will do) and serve under. Add cayenne to each plate for spice, depending on preference.
Please add your own recipe and rec the article so we can stay on top. Thanks!