How often is a very good player sold just one year after he was bought by a big club in a big league and who is not out of money? Oh, and bought by Tottenham, not some super rich, super big club like Real Madrid or Bayern Munich? Basically never, but that isn't stopping the Daily Mail from linking Spurs to Maarten Stekelenburg!
According to this reputable newspaper that does not make up stories out of thin air, attributes sources and has quotes (opposite day!), Spurs are in on the Dutch goalkeeper as a replacement for Brad Friedel. A replacement for Friedel -- that much checks out! The Mail are onto something!
Except there's that whole Stekelenburg part, who just signed for A.S. Roma from Ajax a year ago for £4 million, a bargain because he was in the last year of his contract. Now the Mail thinks that Roma will sell him for just £5 million to Spurs because they don't really want to make a run at a top three finish and the Champions League in an up-for-grabs Serie A.
Let's follow the train of thought below the jump:
- Tottenham are looking for a goalkeeper to replace the aging, if still good, Friedel.
- Tottenham are awesome English.
- Roma are some stupid Serie A team because Serie A is stupid.
- Roma have a goalkeeper that plays for the Netherlands so he has to be good.
- A team from awesome England needs a goalkeeper and can find a good one in stupid Serie A.
- Stupid Serie A will sell to awesome England.
Not a member of Cartilage Free Captain? Sign up below and start commenting. Everyone here is super fun. Check us out on social media for updates when we update as well.