Obviously, I was not able to watch tonight's match, and there's a good chance that you weren't able to either. The Capital One Cup match between Carlisle United and Tottenham Hotspur was not shown on television or streamed on the internet, and I'm assuming that none of our readers based in the southern half of England took the trip up north.
All I have to go on is the radio, so this match reaction post isn't going to be super deep and analytically. Apologies. We'll be a lot more insightful when it comes to the Manchester United match.
- I was very happy to see Adam Smith, Tom Huddlestone, Michael Dawson, Steven Caulker, Iago Falque and Ryan Mason get game time. I think it was also good to make sure Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson got some more minutes.
- I was very happy that Gareth Bale, Moussa Dembele and William Gallas were not in the 18. No need to risk them.
- Jan Vertonghen has been a threat on set pieces from what we've seen and he scored on a reportedly great set piece by Sigurdsson today. I don't want to see Jan standing over free kicks. Bale either. Let Gylfi take them from now on.
- Townsend's goal was an absolutely spectacular one by all accounts, which is brilliant to hear.
- Taking Vertonghen off in the 65th minute was a good move.
- It sounded like Mason had a very rough day. Sucked to hear that.
- Why didn't Tom Carroll get more time? He was just a 70th minute sub. This is astonishing to me.
- The announcers said Dawson didn't put a foot wrong. It's good to know we have depth. It also sounded like Smith had a good game.
- Falque sounded active and ambitious. I'm not sure he'll ever become a contributor for Tottenham, but at least he's giving it all he has when he gets to play.
- Based on what we know now, everyone will be healthy for the United match. Hurrrah!