Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed, via Twitter, that they will be without Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen on Saturday against Sunderland.
Team news: Andre has confirmed that @Jan_Vertonghen will miss tomorrow's game against Sunderland http://t.co/2AK1il5e75 #THFC— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) December 6, 2013
Vertonghen seemed to pick up a bit of an ankle injury at the end of the Fulham match, so this news isn't to surprising. Unfortunately, these doesn't leave Spurs with much cover at the left back position. Danny Rose is getting closer to a return to fitness, but it's doubtful that he's ready to play 90 minutes. Kyle Naughton has been on the bench of late, so he seems like the most likely replacement and barring him it would be Zeki Fryers.
No Tottenham fan really wants to see Naughton back in at left back, but that seems to be the option the club is left with. You're welcome to propose some crazy three at the back scheme, but with only three fit central defenders that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.
- Friday Morning Hoddle Of Coffee: Tottenham Hotspur News And Links For December 6, 2013
- Premier League Projections and Power Rankings, Week 14: Bad Wins
- Thursday Morning Hoddle Of Coffee: Tottenham Hotspur News And Links For December 5, 2013
- Fulham vs. Tottenham Hotspur: Instant reaction
- Fulham vs. Tottenham Hotspur: Lineups and live match thread