Apparently, Andre Villas-Boas is being targeted by Napoli for their managerial vacancy. According to Metro, Napoli chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis said 'Yes' when asked by a Portuguese paper if Villas-Boas is among his targets. Below are a list of bullet points to help you understand this story and my thoughts on it.
- I support Napoli as well as Tottenham Hotspur. Full disclosure.
- Napoli is not as big of a club as Tottenham Hotspur, despite their history, Edinson Cavani and Champions League football. Their stadium doesn't fill up unless it's a massive match, they don't have as much money as Spurs, and they're not going to have as much money as Spurs do in the next decade. Even if they keep finishing top three in Serie A.
- Seriously though, there's a reason guys take crappy Premier League jobs over jobs with Europa League clubs in other leagues. It's a better gig right now. That might change ... in a decade.
- He's only been here a year and his name was dirt to just about everyone but us and Porto a year ago. It would be pretty crappy for AVB to cut and run after we revived his career.
- There's no indication that AVB wants to leave us for Napoli.
- Aurelio De Laurentiis is nuts. He once paid a food delivery boy to drive him away after he angrily stormed out of a meeting of Serie A chairmen. The food delivery boy was driving a small moped.
- It's pretty easy to misunderstand or fabricate a simple "Yes", and we don't know what the exact question was. Maybe ADL was asked if AVB is a good enough manager for Napoli, or if he'd speak to AVB if he got a phonecall from his agent?
- Good god this rumor is stupid and I hate myself for writing this post.