This post is part of a deadline morning series on potential Tottenham transfers.You can find all of the posts in the series right here, as well as the initial post explaining this series right here.
On August 31, 2013, Tottenham Hotspur allowed Benoit Assou-Ekotto to go to Queens Park Rangers on loan, leaving Danny Rose as Spurs' only natural left back. If it didn't seem stupid on that day, it sure does now.
Rose has failed to impress, never quite looking the part of suitable left back for a club dreaming of Champions League qualification and he has dealt with injury to boot. When Rose went out, Spurs leaned on Kyle Naughton or Jan Vertonghen, neither of which worked out well because Naughton is only decent on the right and Vertonghen on the left leaves a gaping hole in the center.
So, months after Spurs were silly enough to let Assou-Ekotto walk without signing a replacement, they are finally ready to sign the man they need -- Johnny Leftback.
Quick bio: He plays left back.
Age: Left back
Likelihood he's transferred today: Seeing as the only people who don't realize Spurs desperately need a left back are the men in charge of the club...
Potential suitors: Several clubs without as gaping a hole and left back and with far less money to spend.
Price if he's sold: 12 galleons.
Are Spurs the front-runners? "What's a left back?"
The verdict? I hate everything.
- Spurs battling Inter Milan for Manchester United winger
- Tottenham Hotspur potential arrivals, departures and pipe dreams on transfer deadline day
- January transfer deadline day 2014: Tottenham Hotspur potential arrivals, departures and pipe dreams
- Manchester United reportedly chasing Spurs winger
- Friday morning Hoddle of Coffee: Tottenham Hotspur news and links for January 31, 2014