We're in a Cup semifinal. We're in a Cup semifinal! WE'RE IN A CUP SEMIFINAL!! Tottenham Hotspur take on League One side Sheffield United in the Capital One Cup, the first of a two-legged semifinal to determine who goes to Wembley to play either Chelsea or Liverpool. There's no kidding around here, and nobody's taking Sheffield lightly. Sheffield want this pretty badly too, and they're hoping they can add Spurs to a cup scalp list that already includes QPR and Southampton.
NOTE: Due to Sheffield having problems with north London traffic, the match has been POSTPONED until 8:00 p.m. UK time (3:00 p.m. USA).
Sheffield has stubbornly refused to tweet their starting lineups, but some guy on Twitter posted a pic of the team sheet. Just substitute all the names on this list with "Gary Rootbeer" and you get the idea.
Soooooooo, pretty strong lineup, all things considered. Hugo Lloris gets rested for the Leicester City match, which is probably fine. Eric Dier and Jan Vertonghen continue their fledgling defense partnership that worked well against Sunderland. Ryan Mason returns to the starting lineup, paired with Benjamin Stambouli in the pivot. And of course, Sheffield native Kyle Walker starts at right back against his old club. But the big news is the inclusion of CAPTAIN EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR, his first start since, I dunno, Stoke City?
Regardless, it's a strong lineup. The idea is probably to crush Sheffield at home, and then park the bus next week at Bramall Lane and escape with a 0-0 draw. Works for me. LET'S DO THIS.
How to Watch:
Match time: 7:45 p.m. (U.K.), 2:45 (USA ET)
Venue: White Hart Lane, London, England
If you're in the United Kingdom, catch the match on Sky Sports 1. Aussies can find it on beIN Sports Australia, Canadians on beIN Sports Canada (are you sensing a theme here?) However, if you're tuning in from Barbados, try ESPN2 Caribbean. Guinea-Bisseau visitors can watch on SuperSport 3 Africa. Other countries can find your local TV listings here.
Yes, we are aware of such things called "illegal streams." No, we're not going to help you find any, sorry. No, you can't talk about them in the comments, either.
Match thread rules:
As always, the match thread rules are the same. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy, even when we're losing to Sheffield United. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. This is an open, supportive community.