It's match day! Tottenham Hotspur are in the Principality of Monaco to take on AS Monaco in Group J action in the 2015-16 UEFA Europa League. This match marks Spurs' first foray outside the cozy confines of White Hart Lane in over two weeks, and the first away match of their Europa campaign.
Monaco has been scary in the past when their owner decided to throw gobs of money at them. But they're less so these days: Monaco are currently ninth in the Ligue 1 table with 12 points from eight matches and despite some notable names like Stephan al Shaarawy, Ricardo Carvalho, Joao Moutinho, and Lacina Traore, they're no longer regarded with fear and trepidation as in years past.
But Spurs have brought a strong squad of their own to the principality, and while everyone expects some rotation it wouldn't surprise most observers to see a few first team league starters to get minutes, especially if they get off to a slow start. Harry Kane is expected to start on the bench today, but players such as Clinton N'Jie, Kieran Trippier, and Andros Townsend should be given opportunities to shine.
That said, one does not simply walk into Monaco. Spurs will almost certainly need to bring their A-game to get a win against Leonardo Jardim's men. But if they can get a win in Monaco, that sets them up very well for the rest of the group stage and takes care of one of the trickier fixtures in this part of the Europa League.
H-1 : LINE UP ! #ASMTOT 1-Subasic 2-Fabinho 4-Coentrão 6-Carvalho 24-Raggi 28-Toulalan 8-Moutinho 23-A.Traoré 10-Silva 27-Lemar 19-L.Traoré— AS Monaco EN (@AS_Monaco_EN) October 1, 2015
Subs : Nardi, Wallace, Dirar, Bakayoko, Pasalic, Carrillo, El Shaarawy #ASMTOT— AS Monaco EN (@AS_Monaco_EN) October 1, 2015
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, October 1, 7:00 p.m. (Monaco), 6:00 p.m. (UK), 1:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Stade Louis II, Fontvieille, Monaco
Official: Artur Dias (Portugal)
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), BT Sport Europe (UK), beIN Sports Canada (Canada), beIN Sports Australia (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3 (USA, Spanish language), Fox Sports Go, Fox Soccer2Go (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming (UK)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!