It's match day, Spurs fans! For the non-Americans who read the blog, today is Thanksgiving in the USA, a day where we give thanks every year for the bounty of the harvest from the previous year. We do this by, what else, roasting a helpless large fowl, stuffing our faces, and falling asleep watching the Detroit Lions play on the telly.
Completely oblivious to this custom is nearly all of Europe, which is why Tottenham Hotspur is playing a Europa League group stage match in Azerbaijan at 1:00 p.m. on the East Coast in the USA, either smack-dab in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, or immediately afterwards. I'll be on the Twitters today, so if my tweets don't make sense, it's the tryptophan and the wine talking. It's DEFINITELY not the sweet potato casserole, though, that stuff is nasty.
Qarabag aren't crap in Baku. Already they've beaten Anderlecht and drawn with Monaco at home in this competition. A win today puts Spurs through to the Europa League group stages, but even a loss isn't catastrophic, as Spurs get a chance to advance with a home match against Monaco in December.
We expect rotation in the side, but we don't know how much or who will sit. In the meantime, now that Thanksgiving dinner is done, waddle over to a couch somewhere away from Aunt Edna and her poodle, and see if you can wrestle the remote away from your dad who just wants to watch the Bears, dammit.
Lineups will be posted as soon as possible after they are released by the clubs.
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, November 26, 10:00 p.m. (Baku), 6:00 p.m. (UK), 1:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Tofiq Bakhramov Stadium, Baku, Azerbaijan
Official: Tasos Sidiropoulos (Greece)
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), BT Sport Europe (UK), TSN1 (Canada), beIN Sports Australia (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Sports Go, Fox Soccer2Go (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming (UK)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!