Three days, two matches. The holiday fixtures are always wrought with pathos and angst as the matches come fast and furious. Just two days after Tottenham Hotspur dismantled Norwich at White Hart Lane they take a trip to northwest London to face Watford. The HornetMooses are flying high, seventh in the table and only three behind Spurs in their first EPL campaign since promotion. Going to Vicarage Road isn't easy, and Watford are hoping to topple Spurs in what is a true six pointer.
This is also somewhat of a Spurs reunion, as former Tottenham starters Heurelho Gomes and Etienne Capoue are now playing for Watford. Neither of them can claim that they especially enjoyed their time at Spurs, and are probably itching to get one over on their former club. Gomes in particular is an fine player and an outstanding shot-stopper, though he was known more for his public gaffes while at Spurs. On his day, he can be exceptional, and he'll need to be to cope with Harry Kane.
Spurs will also need to be wary of the double-threat of Watford strikers Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo, who have scored 19 league goals combined this season. Both are adept at picking apart opposition defenses, so Spurs will need to be especially on guard.
Meanwhile, Spurs got some good news courtesy of Sky Sports journo Lyall Thomas, who indicated that midfielder Mousa Dembele might not be as injured as first appeared:
It's not clear how much, if any, rotation Mauricio Pochettino will implement today. We've predicted rotation plenty of times and been hilariously wrong, so we'll have to wait and see what kind of team takes the pitch today. The good news is that Watford played a strong team on Saturday too, and aren't nearly as fit or as deep as Spurs. They may rotate as well.
How to Watch
Date/time: Monday, December 28, 3:00 p.m. (UK), 10:00 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Vicarage Road, Hertfordshire, London, UK
Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: NBCSN Extra Time ("the extra channels") (USA), not televised (UK), TSN4 (Canada), Fox Sports 4 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBCS Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- While we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!