It's a London derby! Sort of! West Ham United comes to White Hart Lane in a match that for whatever reason seems to mean much more to Hammers fans than it does to Spurs fans. I'm not sure why, but West Ham just seems to HATE Tottenham with wild abandon. Sure, it's nothing like the rivalry with Millwall, but in the absence of that lot we seem to have filled that void.
It's kind of cute, isn't it?
I mean, sure, most Spurs fans aren't exactly warm and fuzzy with the likes of that lot to the east. The bad blood between the two clubs is evident not only from the historical "hissing" at Spurs supporters during matches at the Boleyn Ground but more recently from the animosity between David Gold, Karren Brady, and Daniel Levy, culminating in the kerfluffle over the Olympic Stadium and the nixed loan for Emmanuel Adebayor this January.
Even so, would most Spurs fans consider West Ham a major rival a la Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea? I doubt it. Sure, we wanna beat them, but not at the same level that they clearly want to beat us. Perhaps at some level West Ham supporters recognize this, as they feel compelled to get the bad humors riled by putting out stuff like a "treble" t-shirt after the Hammers beat Spurs thrice last season.
So yeah, maybe I actually do wanna grind them into dust today. Never forget.
The last time Spurs faced West Ham was opening day, and that match was a weird one – two red cards, botched tactical systems for both sides, and an Eric Dier goal from a through-ball for God's sakes – that didn't really tell us much about how good these two teams really are. Today's match should be a much better barometer. Spurs need the three points to stay in the hunt for Champions League, and West Ham need it to even get back into the conversation.
It's Coacchettino vs. Big Sam. Let's do this.
How to Watch
Match Date: Sunday, February 22, 2015
Time: Noon, GMT (7:00 a.m. ET)
Location: White Hart Lane, London, England
TV/Streaming: HOLY GOD IT'S EARLY. England, why can't you America? Brew an extra pot of coffee and fire up the telly you septic bastards, because the match is on NBC Sports Network or streamed online at NBC Sports Live Extra, if you have the right cable package. UK residents can watch the match on BT Sports 1. Canadians: try TSN1, 3, 4, or 5. (Why four channels? BECAUSE CANADA.) Aussies: Fox Sports 4 is your drug of choice. Are you in Estonia? Belarus 5 is your channel. Find your local listings for the match here.
Radio: BBC Radio London 94.9 normally broadcasts Spurs' matches (unavailable in the USA without a proxy), and it will also be carried in the UK on TalkSport Radio 1. If you are a (free) MySpurs or OneHotspur member you can listen on Spurs' official website, though it's not always reliable.
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy, even when we're losing to Big Sam. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!