England hopes to rebound from its demoralizing loss to Portugal in the first match of the U21 European Championships today as they take on Sweden in the Czech Republic. Gareth Southgate has three Tottenham Hotspur players to choose from: Harry Kane, Tom Carroll, and Alex Pritchard. All three featured against Portugal. Could all three start today against the Swedes?
Against Portugal, Tom Carroll bossed the midfield before being moved back to a more defensive role where he struggled. Meanwhile, Alex Pritchard was a late sub and immediately brought an offensive spark in the hole. Harry Kane? He didn't score, but he was still Harry Kane and had a number of good chances for England. Southgate's men pretty desperately need a win today if they're to have any hope of escaping group play in a competition in which they're expected to contend for the title.
This here's your open thread for this match. Have fun!
Lineups will be posted when announced
England vs. Portugal (Group B)
Date/time: June 21, 2015, 12:00 p.m. ET (5 p.m. UK)
Venue: Ander Stadium, Olomouc, Czech Republic
How to Watch
Television: BT Sport 1 (UK), not televised in the USA
Live Streaming: ESPN3 / WatchESPN / ESPN Deportes TV
Radio: BBC Radio 5 Live
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy, even though it's England. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!