Just a few days ago, Tottenham Hotspur were said to have inquired about the availability of Southampton's Victor Wanyama. Today, several journalists are reporting that the defensive midfielder has now formally asked to leave Southampton.
I don't know about you, but to me that seems like an awfully big coincidence.
We understand Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama has asked to leave the club. #SSNHQ— Michael Bridge (@MichaelBridge_) August 22, 2015
It's been a quiet fact that Wanyama has been agitating for a move away from Soton for a while. Earlier this summer, while linked with Arsenal, he said that "it would be nice" to move to the Gooners. That he's asking to leave Soton now indicates that he's ready to make the step up to a larger club.
There's no real evidence, apart from rumors of the aforementioned inquiry, that Spurs are actually interested in the Kenyan. That said, there's suddenly a whole heck of a lot of smoke in the air. If Wanyama is agitated enough to put in a transfer request now, that probably means there's someone that's after him and has given assurances that they'll sign him, and I'm not finding many other clubs other than Spurs that are all that interested in him.
But if it is Spurs who are in for him, don't expect Southampton to make it easy. They're still ticked over the whole Toby Alderweireld thing, and I don't think it's a matter of Victor putting in a request and Spurs signing the paperwork.
Wanyama would fill a hole at defensive midfielder for Tottenham and would be an upgrade on Eric Dier (who has played well but isn't actually a DM), but he's probably not the big name signing that most Spurs fans are hoping for before the end of the window.
This could be the start of a new saga, so stay tuned. It could get fun.