It's back! Tottenham Hotspur takes the pitch for the first time in two weeks and the first time since the close of the transfer window today. Their opponent is Sunderland, currently bottom of the table with two points in four matches. Which is, to be fair, only one point less than Spurs have in the same time period.
Tottenham have a shiny new Korean winger/forward, a rejuvenated squad, and a lot of anticipation. They also desperately need a win against a Sunderland side that is, quite frankly, pretty awful. The irony is that, for the most part, Spurs haven't played all that badly this season, but have been let down by their finishing, some sparing moments of bad luck and some bad luck.
Meanwhile the #narrative focus will be on Jermain Defoe and Younes Kaboul, both former Hotspurs that fell out of favor and both likely itching to get one over on their old club.
Three points in four matches isn't the best way to start out a season in which your club is hoping to qualify for the Champions League, but an away win against a club expected to be in the mix for relegation would be a good way to assuage any concerns over Spurs' lugubrious opening.
#THFC team: Lloris (c), Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Mason; Chadli, Alli, Son; Kane #COYS https://t.co/pC6fL7kCAS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 13, 2015
#THFC subs: Vorm, Rose, Trippier, Carroll, Lamela, Townsend, Winks #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 13, 2015
#SAFC team to face @SpursOfficial: Pantilimon, Jones, PVA, Borini, Gomez, Kaboul, O'Shea, Lens, Defoe, Toivonen, M'Vila.— Sunderland AFC (@SunderlandAFC) September 13, 2015
#SAFC Subs: Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Graham, Coates, Mannone, Watmore.— Sunderland AFC (@SunderlandAFC) September 13, 2015
How to Watch
Date/time: Sunday, September 13, 1:30 p.m. (UK), 8:30 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Stadium of Light, Sunderland, UK
Official: Craig Pawson
TV: NBCSN (USA), NBC UNIVERSO (USA - Spanish), Sky Sports 1 (UK), Sportsnet World (Canada), Fox Sports 1 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBCS Live Extra (USA), Sky Go (UK),
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!