This is the big one. Tottenham Hotspur take on Leicester City at White Hart Lane for the second time in four games, but this one feels a lot more important than Sunday's 2-2 FA Cup draw at White Hart Lane. In the cup match, both sides rotated fairly heavily, knowing that while Cup glory is nice, the league is all.
And boy, is this league match important. Spurs and Leicester are direct competitors for a top four finish, and a win over the Foxes makes Spurs not only overwhelming favorites for top four, but even higher. Here's how Michael Caley put it with his evil numbers:
Projection for Spurs-Leicester. It's a six-pointer! Both teams in slightly better shape after United's draw. pic.twitter.com/40kp1axOPF— Michael Caley (@MC_of_A) January 13, 2016
YOU SEE WHY I'M NERVOUS?
Tottenham are boosted by the return of Mousa Dembele to the midfield, and should have everyone else available for selection except for those on the long-term injury list. Leicester are expected to have Jamie Vardy back after his minor elective surgery last week, and we should naturally expect Vardy, Ryad Mahrez, and N'Golo Kante to all start.
The key to this match is twofold: Spurs' defense of Eric Dier and Janby Alderweirtonghen needs to contain the offensive threat of Mahrez and Vardy, and Spurs' pressing midfield must create chances that its attackers can finish. Leicester plays a lot like Everton, but have attackers that are on insane finishing streaks. If the Everton match is any indication, we could be in for a nail-biter of a match.
City: Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan (c), Huth, Fuchs, Mahrez, Kanté, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy. #TotLei— Leicester City (@LCFC) January 13, 2016
Subs: Schwarzer, King, Gray, Ulloa, Dyer, Wasilewski, Inler. #TotLei— Leicester City (@LCFC) January 13, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 8:00 p.m. (UK), 3:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Official: Lee Mason
TV: NBC Premier League Extra Time [The "extra channels"] (USA), not televised (UK), Sportsnet World (Canada), Fox Sports 2 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!