Game day. Tottenham Hotspur are in Germany for a critical away match against Bayer Leverkusen in the 2016 UEFA Champions League today, the first of an important back-to-back series against the Bundesliga side that could have very important ramifications to both clubs’ chances of escaping their group.
Bayer have gotten off to a slow start under Roger Schmidt this season in the Bundesliga; they’re currently 10th in the table with ten points after seven matches. But this is still a dangerous team, especially at home where they are currently undefeated in league play. Bayer’s primary goal threat should be very familiar to American fans: Mexican international and former Manchester United striker Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has already netted eight times for Bayer. The home side also have Hakan Calhanoglu, considered one of the best dead-ball specialists in European football. Hugo Lloris could be tested if Spurs concede any free kicks near their area.
For Tottenham, they’ll be without Harry Kane who has only just returned to training after an ankle injury, and starting center back Toby Alderweireld, who is recovering from a knee knock he took in Spurs’ draw against West Bromwich Albion. Eric Dier is expected to slot into Spurs’ defense alongside Jan Vertonghen.
This is also a homecoming for Son Heung-Min, whom Spurs signed from Bayer at the beginning of the 2015-16 season. The Korean international is certain to start today, and it could be at the tip of the spear ahead of Dutch striker Vincent Janssen.
The importance of today’s match is not lost on the players or managers: both teams are considered favorites to advance, but both are currently behind Monaco in the table. Bayer especially needs a win today considering they have drawn both of their opening two matches, while Spurs can make a big statement with their second away win in the Champions League.
#THFC team: Lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose; Wanyama; Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela; Janssen. #COYS pic.twitter.com/YzwmSAHkwZ— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) October 18, 2016
Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Dembele, Onomah, Sissoko, Winks. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) October 18, 2016
Starting XI for #B04THFC!#Kießling starts!— Bayer 04 Leverkusen (@bayer04_en) October 18, 2016
Less than one hour until kick off! Let's goooo! #UCL pic.twitter.com/kiXFh9doSW
How to Watch
Date/time: Tuesday, October 18, 2016, 8:45 p.m. (Leverkusen), 7:45 p.m. (UK), 2:45 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: BayArena, Leverkusen, Germany
Official: Cüneyt Çakır (TUR)
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), BT Sport 2 (UK), RDS 2 / TSN 4 (Canada), beIN Sports 1 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Sports Go / Fox Soccer2Go / WatchESPN (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming (UK)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!