Welcome back for another exciting day of international football! England host UEFA powerhouse Malta in a World Cup qualifier at Wembley Stadium today. Malta! Can’t you feel the excitement?
I shouldn’t pick on the Maltese. They don’t deserve it. Tiny countries sometimes come good — look at what Iceland did this summer! — but it’s hard to get excited about a qualifier for a tournament that won’t happen for another two years against a team that is ranked 176th according to FIFA.
England have four Tottenham players involved in interim manager Gareth Southgate’s squad: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Danny Rose, and Kyle Walker. Tottenham need all of them pretty badly, so with all due respect to the English reading this blog, I hope all four of them sit today and don’t play at all.
But it’s England so that won’t happen. Best we can hope for is an easy game where nobody gets injured, like what happened to Danny Rose in the last international break.
Here’s your open thread. ENGERLAND!
How to Watch
Date/Time: Saturday, October 8, 2016, 5:00 pm BST, noon ET
Location: Wembley Stadium, London, England
TV: ITV 1 (UK), STV (Scotland), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), Sportsnet (Canada), ESPN (Australia)
Streaming: ITV Hub (UK), ESPN3 / WatchESPN (USA)
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!