We wanted the high profile, high-stakes Champions League matches this season, and we’re getting them. Tottenham Hotspur enter into today’s “home” match against Bayer Leverkusen at Wembley Stadium needing a win in order to feel comfortable about their chances of escaping the group stages of the Champions League, and there are some major questions about the team heading into it.
Spurs haven’t lost in the Premier League, but they have dropped matches against Monaco at Wembley and were raked over the coals by Bayer two weeks ago in Germany. They’re winless in their last five matches in all competitions, and head to Wembley today minus their best striker in Harry Kane, best defender in Toby Alderweireld, and arguably best pressing midfielder (assuming Erik Lamela doesn’t play today).
Without Alderweireld anchoring the back line and Eric Dier in the midfield, Spurs have looked offensively adrift and without ideas. And now they’re up against a very good Bayer team that already has the blueprints on how to beat Spurs. Not great, Bob.
It’s not all gloom and doom, however. The first half in Germany was very good and if Spurs can recapture some of the magic that they used to annihilate Manchester City, then today’s game could be a watershed moment as they head towards Sunday’s North London Derby. If they’re going to start turning things around, though, now would be a very good time.
Subs: Vorm, Carter-Vickers, Rose, Winks, Onomah, Nkoudou, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) November 2, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Wednesday, November 2, 2016, 8:45 p.m. (UK), 3:45 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Official: Jonas Eriksson (SWE)
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 4 HD (UK), beIN Sports (Canada), beIN Sports (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Sports Go / Fox Soccer2Go (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming (UK), beIN Sports Connect / fubo.tv (free 24 hour trial, Canada only)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.