With sincere apologies to Aston Villa supporters (side-eyes 7500 to Holte), Aston Villa are trash. Bottom of the table, helpless, hopeless, they are a dead team kicking, a side of pathetic slow-moving football zombies that are just biding their time until the season mercifully ends and they can restructure for life in the English Championship.
So why am I so nervous?
It probably has more to do with the fact that Spurs have looked underwhelming against top-quality opposition lately that makes me irrationally expecting the OLD Tottenham to take the field today at Villa Park. I shouldn't. This is a full-strength Tottenham side that will take the pitch today, with Eric Dier and Dele Alli back, and Danny Rose marauding up the left flank. Several key players got rested during the Dortmund Debacle™, which tells you all you need to know about which competition Mauricio Pochettino sees as his priority. Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen are playing fantastic, and Harry Kane was a monster against Arsenal.
And yet there's still pressure here. Thanks to Leicester's 5 point cushion at the top of the table, this is an absolute must-win for Spurs. And they probably will. But still, there's that nagging doubt. Drop points today and Spurs might just kiss their title hopes goodbye, with upcoming games at Anfield, the Brittania, and Stamford Bridge.
Meanwhile, there's no pressure at all on Villa. They already know their fate. There's no MOTIVATION, but there's a sense that they have nothing to lose, so y'know, yolo. Expect busses parked in front of goals and men behind the ball, and let's hope that the combination of a defense set up to frustrate and the home-pitch advantage of Villa Park isn't enough to stop Spurs' high-falutin' offense.
God, that's a depressing write-up, isn't it? I blame Alan Hutton. Let's smash 'em.
How to Watch
Date/time: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 5:00 p.m.. (UK), 12:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Villa Park, Birmingham, UK
Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: NBC Sports Network, Telemundo (USA), Not Televised (UK), TSN 1 (Canada), Fox Sports 1 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!