You'd be forgiven if you're not exactly enthused by the prospect of today's Europa League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Borussia Dortmund. After all, BVB thumped a heavily rotated Spurs side 3-0 in Germany a week ago, essentially ending Tottenham's European campaign barring a miracle. A miracle that probably won't come.
Tottenham nevertheless host Dortmund in the second leg of their knock-out tie, and they're expected to again field a rotated lineup for the fixture. Spurs are now fully concentrating on the Premier League title race, where they are five points behind Leicester and nursing a slim lead over rivals Arsenal. Expect Spurs to give it the ol' college try, but beating Dortmund is a tall order even for a full strength Spurs side, and I doubt we'll see anything close to that today at the Lane.
Kieran Trippier and Ben Davies are due to be rotated back into the fullback positions today, and it's quite possible we'll see Eric Dier "rested" again by pushing him back to central defense beside Kevin Wimmer. I'd expect to see Son Heung-Min and Nacer Chadli, as well as Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll in some capacity (though hopefully not together in the pivot again).
It's not the exciting return leg we wanted, but it's the one we have. So let's get it over with so we can focus on Bournemouth this weekend.
BVB: Weidenfeller, Piszczek, Sokratis, Subotic, Ginter, Weigl, Reus, Castro, Schmelzer, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan pic.twitter.com/7blw8zzXVi— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) March 17, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 8:05 p.m. (UK), 4:05 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Official: Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)
TV: Fox Sports 2, Fox Soccer Plus (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK), beIN Sports (Canada), beIN Sports (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Sports Go / Fox Soccer 2Go (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!