So, this is a thing. It could happen. Thanks to Leicester's improbable draw against West Brom yesterday, Tottenham enter into today's match against West Ham at the Bolyn Ground with the knowledge that if they win the match, they go top of the Premier Leauge on goal differential.
Top. Of. The. League. Are you hyperventilating yet?
Spurs got a dominant 4-1 win over the Hammers back in November at White Hart Lane, behind a brace from Harry Kane and goals from Toby Alderweireld and Kyle Walker. But that was a West Ham team without Dmitri Payet. Now Payet's healthy, and the Hammers are knocking at the door of European competition for next season. West Ham are in sixth, just a point behind Manchester United, and despite only winning two of their last six matches, they're dangerous at home and always seem to have an axe to grind against Tottenham.
Did we mention this is a London derby? There's that too.
So win and Spurs are top, but it's easier said than done. Spurs are still without Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen, and could be without Dele Alli, who picked up a minor knock in warm up before the Swansea match. However, Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll are both back in contention for minutes. If Alli can't go, look for one of them to jump into the pivot. For West Ham, Sakho and Valencia are both out until mid-march.
WEST HAM UNITED: Adrian, Antonio, Collins, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Obiang, Noble (c), Kouyate, Lanzini, Payet, Emenike #WHUTOT— West Ham United FC (@whufc_official) March 2, 2016
WEST HAM UNITED SUBS: Randolph (GK), Song, Carroll, Sakho, Oxford, Henry, Dobson #WHUTOT— West Ham United FC (@whufc_official) March 2, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 2:45 p.m.. (USA), 7:45 p.m. ET (UK)
Venue: Bolyn Ground, London, UK
Official: Andre Marriner
TV: NBC Sports Premier League Extra Time [i.e. "the extra channels"] (USA), not televised (UK), TSN (Canada), Fox Sports 3 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!