Here we go! After a week of international fixtures and Harry Kane goals for England, Tottenham Hotspur are back in action today at Anfield against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool™.
Mauricio Pochettino and Jurgen Klopp both come from similar schools of tactics: both employ pressing midfield and try to win the ball back quickly and hit on counters. But Tottenham have had the added benefit of an extra year with their manager to refine their tactics, while you get the impression that the Liverpool players are still trying to figure out the nuances of their new manager's style. Liverpool are a club with lots of potential, but haven't clicked like Tottenham.
So what happens when two pressing teams try to press each other? The first time these two clubs met, Klopp's first match in charge of the Reds, it resulted in a lot of running but not very much good football, and the match ended in a scoreless draw. Something tells me that won't happen this time. Tottenham are desperate for a win to put the pressure on league leaders Leicester City in their tie against Southampton tomorrow. Spurs will put out a first choice lineup today, but Liverpool may not, pending injuries and rotation ahead of their Europa League match against Dortmund on Thursday.
Anything less than three points today from Tottenham will be considered a disappointment, but this will be anything but easy, especially at Anfield, a ground where Spurs have been notoriously poor in recent seasons.
#THFC Team: Lloris (C), Walker, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Rose; Dier, Dembele; Eriksen, Son, Alli; Kane. #COYShttps://t.co/NDAxGF34X7— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 2, 2016
Here’s today’s confirmed #LFC team and subs v @SpursOfficial in full… pic.twitter.com/VBYRVmY9Tb— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 2, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, April 2, 2016, 5:30 p.m.. (UK), 12:30 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Anfield, Liverpool, UK
Official: Jonathan Moss
TV: NBC (USA), Sky Sports 1 (UK), Sportsnet One (Canada), Fox Sports 3 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!