This is it. Tottenham Hotspur play their final match of the 2015-16 Premier League season. Spurs head north to take on a Newcastle side that has has nothing left to play for but pride: Toon was relegated back to the Championship last week along with Norwich City and Aston Villa. In fact, with the title already decided, and the relegated teams also done and dusted, it seems as though this is shaping up to be the least drama-filled final day ever.
But that's not entirely true. Tottenham, in fact, still control their own destiny in some regards. Oh sure, regardless of today's outcome they're still guaranteed to finish either second or third in the table, Spurs' best ever finish in the Premier League era. There is no conceivable metric in which Tottenham can end the season and not consider it a rousing success.
Unless they lose. See, Tottenham need a point today... just one point... to guarantee their first finish ahead of arch-rivals Arsenal since 1995 and forestall the coming of "St. Totteringham's Day," as Arsenal fans call the day where the Gooners are mathematically guaranteed to finish ahead of Spurs. And if you think this doesn't mean much to Spurs fans (or, actually, to Arsenal fans), then you don't understand this rivalry.
Arsenal also play a relegated side – hapless Aston Villa – and are two points behind Spurs in the table. So take the North London Derby, ramp up the #narrative a bunch, add in a sprinkle of former Tottenham academy player Andros Townsend (now playing for Newcastle) and you've got yourself a bunch of Spurs supporters who are incredibly nervous right now. Then there's the fact that Toon beat Spurs 2-1 at White Hart Lane in December. That doesn't help either.
Spurs are without the services of Dele Alli and Mousa Dembele, who are both suspended for violent conduct, and haven't looked like their usual selves lately. But all they need is a point. Just a point. They can do that, right?
How to Watch Tottenham
Date/time: Sunday, May 15, 2016, 3:00 p.m. (UK), 10:00 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: St. James' Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: USA Network (USA), Sky Sports 1 (UK), Sportsnet One (Canada), Fox Sports 3 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Championships Sunday Full Schedule
Did you know that NBC is broadcasting all of today's matches on its network of channels in the USA? if you're interested, here's the full schedule.
- Arsenal vs. Aston Villa - SyFy
- Chelsea vs. Leicester City - CNBC
- Everton vs. Norwich - Esquire
- Manchester United vs. Bournemouth - NBC Sports Network
- Newcastle vs. Tottenham - USA
- Southampton vs. Crystal Palace - E!
- Stoke City vs. West Ham - Bravo
- Swansea City vs. Manchester City - NBC
- Watford vs. Sunderland - Oxygen
- West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool - MSNBC
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!