What happens to a title dream deferred? Does it dry up like Wayne Rooney in the sun? Or retool in the summer by adding a few key depth signings and a full offseason of fitness training... and run away with it? For weeks we've talked about how Tottenham Hotspur need a full three points to keep their title hopes alive. This time, it's literal. Only a win at Stamford Bridge, something not done in nearly 26 years, will do. Any dropped points hands the title to Leicester City and the best Spurs season in decades gets relegated to a footnote in the Foxes' "fairy tale."
In Tottenham's way are defending champions Chelsea, spinning their wheels and seemingly motivated only by the desire to make their London neighbors cry. The Blues are eight spots back on the table. There won't be any European football for them next year. No silverware either. The only thing they have left is to make sure nothing good happens to Spurs.
For Tottenham, Dele Alli is done for the year and while Eric Dier was spotted in training photos on Sunday, it's still not clear whether he'll be fit to start today. Dele can be more or less easily replaced, but Spurs will have a much bigger problem if they need to patch a Dier-shaped hole in the midfield. Mousa Dembele's partner could end up being one of the biggest factors in this match.
Only a win will do today. Who's nervous? COYS!
#THFC team: Lloris (c), Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Dier, Dembele; Lamela, Eriksen, Son; Kane #COYShttps://t.co/qU4eVfXlk7— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 2, 2016
Team to face Spurs (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c),— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) May 2, 2016
Azpilicueta; Mikel, Matic; Willian, Fabregas, Pedro; Diego Costa. #CFC
Tonight’s subs: Amelia, Baba, Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Oscar,— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) May 2, 2016
Hazard, Traore. #CFC
How to Watch
Date/time: Monday, May 2, 2016, 8:00 p.m. (UK), 3:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Stamford Bridge, London, UK
Official: Mark Clattenburg
TV: NBC Sports Network (USA), Sky Sports 1 (UK), Sportsnet (Canada), Fox Sports 4 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!