It’s finally here! The 2016 European Championships kick off today at the Stade de France just north of Paris as Hugo Lloris and hosts France face Romania in the opening match of the most eagerly anticipated international tournament of the summer.
The hosts are one of the favorites to lift the trophy at the end of the Euros, but they’ll want to get off to a good start against the Romanians. Our old friend and tube-steak loving defender Vlad Chiriches is captaining Romania, but he’ll likely have his hands full against Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba, and Dimitri Payet.
What's the over/under on number of crazy forward runs from Chiriches? Let’s start with three.
Here’s your open thread for the match. Enjoy!
How to Watch
Date/time: Friday, June 10, 9:00 p.m. (France), 8:00 p.m. (UK), 3:00 p.m. (ET)
Venue: Stade de France, Paris, France
TV: ESPN2 (USA), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), ITV 1 (UK), TSN (Canada), beIN Sports (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.