There have been a lot of Viking jokes and references to Thor Odinson during this tournament, and you can’t blame people for making them. After all, not only is this the first time Iceland have ever made the European Championship finals, but they’re riding a wave of overachievement and popular support that could see them into the quarterfinals if they can dispatch England today.
And who’s to say they can’t? They obviously have been deemed worthy to lift Mjolnir and wield the power of the Lightning God. This tournament has been taken over by stolid defending, incredible beards, and lots of funky-looking consonants on the backs of jerseys. Every time Iceland scores a goal, a volcano erupts in celebration. Oh, and did we note that 8% of the entire country came to France to watch them play? I’m not sure that’s been mentioned.
England’s tournament has been somewhat hit and miss. They haven’t exactly looked convincing in any of their group stage matches, and when Roy Hodgson opted to rest many of his stars (read: almost all the Tottenham players) in a 0-0 draw with Slovakia they looked mostly disinterested. In fact, of all the England players, only Eric Dier can say that he’s had a good tournament thus far (and he’s had a SPECTACULAR tournament thus far).
Expect all five of Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Kyle Walker, and Danny Rose back in the lineup against Gylfi Son of Sigurd, Arnor Son of Trausta, and Jon Dadi Son of Bodvar. Hopefully none of them are smote by lightning and/or the power of an angry Nordic diety.
Your open thread is below.
How to Watch
England vs. Iceland -- Nice (9 p.m. CET/3 p.m. ET)
TV: ESPN (USA), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), ITV 1 (UK), TSN (Canada), beIn Sports (Australia), other countries at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3/WatchESPN (USA), ITV Hub (UK)
Radio: BBC Radio 5Live, TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.