The summer of international football starts now! The 2016 Copa America Centenario, the 100th anniversary of South America's premier international football competition, kicks off tonight in Santa Clara, California. The United States will take on James Rodriguez and Colombia in the opening match of the competition, which has been expanded to 16 teams (including several from North and Central America), and is hosted in USA.
Tottenham Hotspur have one player involved: right back DeAndre Yedlin, fresh off of a season-long loan at Sunderland in the crucible of a club threatened by relegation from the Premier League. Yedlin appears to have locked down the right back position for USA, and fans can expect to see him bombing forward into attacking areas and firing in crosses for his teammates.
Also, be sure and visit our sister website Stars & Stripes FC for all things 'MERICA.
Here's your open thread for the match. Enjoy!
Lineups will be posted when announced by the teams.
How to Watch
Date/time: Friday, June 3, 2016, 9:30 p.m. (USA), 2:30 a.m. Saturday (UK)
Venue: Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California, USA
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), Premier Sports (UK), Univision (Canada), beIN Sports (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.