European football is back! The quarterfinals of Euro 2016 kick off today in Marseille, France on the non-crazy side of the bracket, when Portugal square off against Poland.
Most people will probably think that Portugal will go as far as Cristiano Ronaldo will take them, and he’s been one of the stand-out performers in this tournament. But Poland has been quietly quite impressive this tournament, despite not really getting much out of Robert Lewandowski and squeaking past a Switzerland team that should be here in their place.
You get the feeling that this will be a match that will come down to one or two individual moments of brilliance, but with Belgium somewhat underachieving in the bottom half of the bracket, you might be forgiven for thinking that the winner here has a very good shot of making it to the final.
Your open thread is below.
How to Watch
Poland vs. Portugal -- Marseille (9 p.m. CET/3 p.m. ET)
TV: ESPN (USA), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), ITV 1 (UK), TSN (Canada), beIn Sports (Australia), other countries at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3/WatchESPN (USA), ITV Hub (UK)
Radio: BBC Radio 5Live, TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.