Tonight's match could either be the beginning of USA's redemption, or it could be the final nail in Jurgen Klinsmann's coffin. USA is in a big hole after dropping an (unlucky?) 2-0 match to Colombia in the first match, and now they face CONCACAF rivals Costa Rica in what is unquestionably a must-win match for the stars and stripes.
The Ticos are coming off a scoreless draw against Paraguay, and are without their best player in Real Madrid keeper Keylor Navas. However, they're intimately familiar with this USA side, since they play each other a LOT. In fact, Costa Rica is probably USA's biggest regional rival after Mexico, and with good reason. They may be a small country, but they've been a Central American football power for over a decade and are coming off of a trip to the World Cup quarterfinals just two summers ago. Don't sleep on the Ticos, or they'll pura you right in the vida.
Spurs fans, of course, should be watching USA's right back DeAndre Yedlin closely. He had a mediocre match against Colombia that saw a relatively stout defensive performance that was marred by an unlucky handball penalty, and he wasn't at his best going forward either. He'll want to do better tonight.
Be sure and visit our sister website Stars & Stripes FC for all things 'MERICA.
Here's your open thread for the match, as well as the late match which will feature Colombia vs. Paraguay.
How to Watch
Date/time: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 8:00 p.m. (USA), 1:00 a.m. Wednesday (UK)
Venue: Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois, USA
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA), Univision (USA - Spanish), Premier Sports (UK), Univision (Canada), beIN Sports (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.