Are you ready? The 2016 European Championship Final is this afternoon in Paris. After a month of constant international football, it’s down to the hosts France against Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal.
It’s a major tournament final, so I have no idea what to expect. Portugal have been underwhelming at times in this tournament, but they’ve done enough to get here, and that makes them formidable, despite coming from the “lesser” half of the bracket. Cristiano Ronaldo is Cristiano Ronaldo, of course, and this has also been the coming out party for Renato Sanchez. You’d be fooling yourself if you didn’t give Portugal a chance to win this match.
On the other hand, France has been fantastic this tournament, and Hugo Lloris has been amazing for Les Blues. How awesome would it be for Hugo to come back to Tottenham with a Euro Championship title to his name? Pretty freakin’ awesome.
The worst thing that could happen, and this does happen in a lot of international finals, is for both clubs to come out and play defensive and cautious. That makes for a boring game and a possible 0-0 penalty shootout victory for one of them. It’s happened before. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen this time. Go out and go for it, France and Portugal.
Your open thread is below.
How to Watch
Portugal vs. France -- Stade de France, Saint-Denis, Paris (9 p.m. CET/3 p.m. ET)
TV: ESPN (USA), ESPN Deportes (USA - Spanish), BBC 1 / ITV 1 (UK), TSN (Canada), beIn Sports (Australia), other countries at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3/WatchESPN (USA), BBC iPlayer / ITV Hub (UK)
Radio: BBC Radio 5Live, TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.