Wake up, everyone! It’s time for some Tottenham Hotspur football! Spurs finish up their tour Down Under with a match against Atletico Madrid at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds in Australia.
On Tuesday against Juventus, Spurs rolled with the younger players to decent effect overall. While the makeshift central defense of Dominic Ball and Cameron Carter-Vickers conceded two early goals en route to a 2-1 defeat, it wasn’t all bad news: Erik Lamela scored a beauty, Marcus Edwards showed off his speed, and we all got really confused by guys who all had the same haircut.
It’s a friendly, so I really don’t know what to expect from Pochettino with regards to his starting lineup. We expect that Christian Eriksen will play at least 45 minutes, but probably not much more than that as he continues to recover from a virus. We might see Kevin Wimmer, who missed the first match a black eye. I think we’ll see a shift from Luke McGee or Aussie keeper Tom Glover. And I bet we’ll see more of players like Anton Walkes, Shayon Harrison, Marcus Edwards, and Josh Onomah.
It’s a friendly, and Diego Simeone brought a pretty strong team to Australia, but let’s have some fun watching young players make mistakes. There’s no use getting MAD ONLINE when this is exactly the time of year when teams experiment and allow players to learn from their errors. And who knows, this might be the match where DeAndre Yedlin cements his place on the first team, or Harry Winks solidifies himself as a Moussa Dembele replacement.
How to Watch
Date/time: Friday, July 29, 2016, 8:00 p.m. (Melbourne), 6:00 a.m. ET (USA), 11:00 a.m. (BST)
Venue: ICC, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australia
TV: ESPN Deportes (USA-Spanish), Sky Sports 1 (UK), TSN 4-5 (Canada), Nine Network (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3 (USA), Sky Go (UK)
Radio: Audio typically streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!