This is shaping up to be very much a transitional year for the Toffees, who have new owners and more money than I thought they had yesterday, but who also just sold John Stones and are trying hard to keep ahold of Romelu Lukaku. Everton have signed Ashley Williams and are close to signing Yannick Bolasie, but neither will play today, and even Lukaku is a serious doubt.
That’s good news for Tottenham, who will roll out with their first choice lineup today, the first time we’ve seen it this season. Still, even at "70%" as Ronald Koeman notably said, best not to overlook Everton, as they’ll be playing in front of a raucous Goodison Park crowd and will be quick to capitalize on any early season jitters that might strike Spurs.
This is a good opportunity for Tottenham to set the tone for the entire Premier League season. Let’s go out and pull the Toffees in all directions. (Thank you! Dad jokes are my specialty.)
Subs: Vorm, Davies, Carter-Vickers, Winks, Mason, Onomah, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) August 13, 2016
How to Watch
It’s happy times in the States today as Spurs are on CNBC, which most people get. However, it doesn’t appear that it’s being televised at all in the UK, which is bizarre and a continual reminder that England doesn’t know how to television. A reminder to please not link to or discuss illegal streams in the comments.
Date/time: Saturday, August 13, 2016, 3:00 p.m. (UK), 10:00 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Goodison Park, Liverpool, UK
Official: Martin Atkinson
TV: CNBC (USA), not televised (UK), TSN5 (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!