It’s the first big test for Tottenham Hotspur as they host Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool™ at White Hart Lane today! Spurs are hoping to continue the strong play that they exhibited against Crystal Palace last weekend, but hopefully that play will equate to a couple more goals than the one goal they scored last year.
If you’re a Tottenham fan, you probably don’t like playing Liverpool so much. It’s to be expected: Spurs haven’t won in their last seven meetings against the Reds, and until recently had found themselves on the end of a beat-down more often than not. Spurs have closed the gap slightly, having drawn both matches against the Reds last season, but with Liverpool having strengthened in the offseason and now considered a potential top four threat, Spurs will want to get the win today, especially at home.
Spurs are still without Mousa Dembele (only two more matches... only two more matches...) and Hugo Lloris is still recovering with a hamstring injury, but otherwise their first choice lineup is available. Whether that lineup includes Vincent Janssen or not remains to be seen.
Liverpool are hurting, and will be without Divock Origi, Emery Can, Philippe Coutinho, Lucas Leiva, Joe Gomez, and Mamadou Sakho for this match. However, Daniel Sturridge will probably start, and that’s good news for Klopp.
These are two teams with fun midfield presses, good offenses, and a recent history of animosity. It should be a great match!
Subs: McGee, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Onomah, Winks, Janssen, Son #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) August 27, 2016
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 12:30 p.m. (UK), 7:30 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Official: Bobby Madley
TV: NBC Sports Network (USA), Sky Sports 1 / NOW TV (UK), Sportsnet (Canada), SBS One / Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.