GET HYPE. Tottenham Hotspur open their Champions League account today at Wembley Stadium as they host AS Monaco. It’s the first Champions League match for Spurs since they crashed out of the 2010-11 Champions League quarterfinals against Real Madrid.
And now they get to walk out onto the pitch of England’s national stadium to the strains of the Champions League anthem (a trash song but still gives me goosebumps) and play for glory in all-white kits against some French team from a minuscule principality that bought their way into the competition, probably.
It’s a glorious moment. I’m sitting here at my desk, 7500 miles away from Wembley Stadium. I can’t even WATCH the match because day job, but I have it cued up for viewing later tonight. But I’ll be listening to the radio feed, trying not to make it obvious that I’m listening to TEH SPORTS while my favorite team in the world finally announces itself on the European stage.
The game is about glory. This is my club, my one and only club. War Damn Hotspur. We want ‘Bama!
COME ON YOU SPURS!
Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Carter-Vickers, Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 14, 2016
How to Watch
Thanks to the delay of the Manchester City vs. Gladbach Champions League match yesterday, the TV listings are all screwy, and it’s probably to your detriment if you live in the USA depending on your cable package. The match will be carried by Fox Sports Plus, though you may want to check your regional Fox sports network to see if it’s still carried there — currently it’s due to be shown on Fox Sports Florida and may still be on the schedules elsewhere.
The match will be streamed on Fox Soccer 2Go, which currently has a free seven day trial. Meanwhile, the match may or may not be actually streamed by ESPN3. We’re not sure. Isn’t modern football fun?!
Date/time: Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 7:45 p.m. (UK), 2:45 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Official: Gianluca Rocchi (ITA)
TV: Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Sports regional channels [check local listings] (USA), BT Sport 3 (UK), TSN1 (Canada), beIN Sports 1 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Soccer2Go (USA), BT Sport Live Streaming (UK), beIn Sports Connect (Australia)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also BBC Radio London and try TalkSport.
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!