Gillingham FC is pronounced with a soft G, like “Jillingham.” But their nickname is “The Gills,” like what fish have. With all the aquatic imagery that this conjures up, naturally their team crest features a prancing horse. They’re 13th in League One right now, but got to today’s EFL Cup Third Round match against Tottenham Hotspur by virtue of knocking off Watford in the last round.
Nothing about this club makes a lick of sense.
The Jills (going with it) are managed by former Tottenham star Justin Edinburgh, who had a ten year career with Spurs as a defender, making 215 appearances. He’s on record as saying that he’s thrilled to be returning to White Hart Lane, a club he still loves, and is hoping to add Spurs to the FishHorses’ (is that right? It should be.) list of League Cup victims this season.
Tottenham are still reeling from the news of Harry Kane’s ankle injury, and with two matches per week for the foreseeable future, this match is a perfect opportunity to rest some stars and give some young reserves a chance to show what they can do.
We expect starts from Kieran Trippier and Harry Winks today. Vincent Janssen is likely to get the nod up top as youngster Shayon Harrison is out. We could see appearances from players like Josh Onomah, Tom Carroll, Marcus Edwards, and Cameron Carter-Vickers. The possibilities are endless!
It’s the Third Round of the Mickey Mouse Cup, everyone! Who’s excited?
Subs: Whiteman (GK), Vertonghen, Walkes, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Edwards, Son. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 21, 2016
How to Watch
The bad news? It’s not on TV unless you happen to live on the African continent. The good news is that it IS streaming on beIN Sports Connect, which you might have if you get beIN Sports as part of your cable package. If you don’t, you can still watch it through fubo.tv, which has a free 24-hour trial of its service.
Date/time: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 8:00 pm (UK), 3:00 pm ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Official: David Coote
TV: It’s not on TV, unless you’re in Africa. If you are, try SuperSport 2.
Streaming: beIN Sports Connect (USA), or fubo.tv (free 24 hour trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also try BBC Radio Kent
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don't have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!