Tottenham Hotspur are set to welcome anti-football to White Hart Lane. Spurs are on a tear in the Premier League, winners of five straight league matches and six on the trot. Dele Alli has scored seven goals in his last four games. So what better way to potentially screw up a club record-tying win streak than to bring a Tony Pulis side to the Lane and potentially end up with another friggin’ draw?
Spurs have drawn their last three matches with Pulis’ bag men... er Baggies, including a deeply stupid 1-1 draw at the Hawthornes in October where they had 76% possession but still felt fortunate to escape with a point. It was also the match that injured Toby Alderweireld and kept him out of the side, a contributing factor to Spurs’ terrible month of November. It was an awful match and I hate it.
We all know how Pulis teams tend to set up and play, and despite a deceptive string of actual offense and goals, Spurs vs. Brom matches tend to be games that nobody likes against players that everyone hates.
Oh, hi Nacer. Sorry, I didn’t see you there.
Anyway, we know the drill: Pulis will do his best to murder the sport of football in real time, and Spurs will pray to all that’s good and holy that they can nick an early goal and blow the Baggies out of the water. Or at least get another draw.
Spurs are healthy (except for Erik Lamela) and will certainly play their best starting 11 (except for Erik Lamela). West Brom will keep their defensive shape, attempt to hit back on corners, and try and steal a goal or two off of dumb set pieces.
Let’s hope this match isn’t as dumb as we think it’s going to be.
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, January 14, 12:30 pm (UK), 7:30 am (ET)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Match Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: NBC Sports Network (USA), Sky Sports 1 (UK), TSN5 (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!