The last time these two teams met, City were unbeaten at the top of the table and Spurs were second, also unbeaten. Tottenham went on to romp past Guardiola’s Citizens, handing them their first loss and putting the first chink into what was at the time an impressive title-contending resume.
Now the wheels have somewhat fallen off: Claudio Bravo appears to be doing his best Heurelho Gomes impression, City’s defense is looking old and creaky, and Pep will probably resort to playing 100-year old man Yaya Toure and an out of position Paulo Zabaleta in midfield.
But City is still City, and they’ve got a super scary attack. Sergio Aguero, we know about. David Silva is one of the best in the league at what he does. Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling... these guys can ball. And there are even murmurs that new signing Gabriel Jesus might see some action.
But it’s not like Spurs don’t have offense of their own. Dele Alli has scored seven goals in his last six matches. Harry Kane has scored six in his last four. And even though Jan Vertonghen is out for the foreseeable future, Spurs still boast the most impressive defense in the Premier League, and they’ll be champing at the bit to prove that City at the Etihad doesn’t scare them.
A win today may or may not close the gap on Chelsea, but it would be a signal that Spurs are not only top four contenders, but are ready to leap in should the Blues falter. A loss for City, meanwhile, could end their title hopes and could seriously damage their chances at top four.
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, 5:30 p.m. (UK), 12:30 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK
Official: Andre Marriner
TV: NBC (USA), BT Sport 1, BT Sport 4K UHD (UK), Sportsnet (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Live Extra TAC Cam (Wide View) (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!