Whooooo boy, can you feel the Magic of the Cup in the air? Tottenham Hotspur are set to welcome League 2 side Wycombe Wanderers and their stalwart striker Adebayo Akinfenwa to White Hart Lane for their Fourth Round FA Cup tie.
For Wycombe, this is their Champions League final. It’s a classic David vs. Goliath battle for the Chairboys, and Tottenham ain’t David. Both home and away clubs split the gate revenue, so this is huge for Wycombe not only because of the occasion, but because win or lose they are set to make a huge financial windfall from today’s match. That’s super important for a lower-league club.
Wycombe are known for their quartered blue kits and, this season, for the 35-year old Akinfenwa, a 240-lb hoss of a striker who is nicknamed “The Beast.” He’s a wide load and while he’s plied his trade almost exclusively in the lower leagues of English football, he’s known for his strength and ability to push around opposition defenders.
Don’t expect to see too many regular starters in this match. Even Spurs’ reserve team should be able to dispatch Wycombe at home fairly easily, so this seems like a good opportunity to get players like Kieran Trippier, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Harry Winks, and Josh Onomah some major minutes, if not starts.
A win today and Spurs are through to the Fifth Round, and that’s usually when the REAL fun begins in the FA Cup.
Subs: Lopez, Walker, Walker-Peters, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 28, 2017
Subs: Richardson, Thompson, Bean, Harriman, Weston, De Havilland, Saunders #TOTvWYC— Wycombe Wanderers (@wwfcofficial) January 28, 2017
How to Watch
This match isn’t televised in the UK, which is a bummer for, y’know, actual English fans who want to watch their team play. It’s televised in the USA, but only on Fox Soccer Plus, a super-duper premium sports channel that, again, most fans don’t get, or streamed on Fox Soccer2Go, a premium streaming service.
DirecTV Now is a streaming service that DOES carry the match, and apparently they’re offering a free trial. Might be worth checking out. (Note: I do not receive a commission for this.)
So: The above is apparently isn’t correct, and I apologize. However, Fox Soccer2Go is offering a free 7-day trial, and they definitely ARE carrying the match.
So here’s what we’re going to do: we’re going to embed a Twitter list into this thread below that contains a curated list of Spurs reporters and game tweeters, including @cartilagefree. If you can’t find a radio feed or a legal way to watch, you can always follow along via Twitter in the game thread. The feed will auto-refresh.
Date/time: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 3:00 p.m. (UK), 10:00 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Official: Roger East
TV: Fox Soccer Plus (USA), not televised (UK), Sportsnet World (Canada), ESPN2 (Australia), SuperSport 5 (much of Africa), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Soccer2Go (free 7-day trial) (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!