The Premier League is back! After a weekend of Magic both cuppish and terrifying, Tottenham Hotspur will take their full first team (honest!) up NORF to Wearside as they play Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.
Sunderland have been, let’s face it, terrible this season. They’re bottom of the table, which is impressive enough in a league that also features Crystal Palace, Swansea and Hull. Sunderland fans are already gearing up for yet another long battle to escape relegation and live to fight in the Premier League for another season.
Tottenham welcome back Harry Kane, Toby Alderweireld, and Danny Rose to the lineup, all of whom were stated as injured for Saturday’s FA Cup match against Wycombe, but who all seem to be fine now, thank you very much. The big question again for Spurs is at the back: with Jan Vertonghen out, will Kevin Wimmer get another start beside Toby and Eric Dier in a back three, or have two consecutive underwhelming matches consigned him, and the 3-5-2, to the bin?
Otherwise, we expect a bog-standard Erik Lamela-less starting lineup. And with Chelsea playing Liverpool today as well, it’s a golden chance to catch up to Chelsea or widen the gap on Pool (or both).
Finally: I see you there, Jermain Defoe. Still love ya buddy. Be gentle.
Lineups will be posted when released by the clubs.
How to watch
Date/time: Tuesday, January 31, 2:45 p.m. (ET), 7:45 p.m. (UK)
Venue: The Stadium of Light, Sunderland, UK
Official: Lee Mason
TV: NBC Sports Extra Time (i.e. “the extra channels”) (USA), not televised, (UK), TSN1 (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!