On the hierarchy of big matches, this one may not be at the very top, but it’s definitely up there. Tottenham Hotspur host Chelsea today at White Hart Lane — Chelsea, who is currently five points up at the top of the table with a game in hand; Chelsea, who is one win away from a Premier League record 14 consecutive wins.
No team is hotter, no team is playing with more confidence. They’re scary good, as Spurs found out just a few weeks ago in a 2-1 loss at Stamford Bridge. And Spurs played well in that match.
But Spurs have confidence of their own. They’ve won their last four matches, including two 4-1 away drubbings of Southampton and Watford, and they probably enter this match feeling like they should be the favorites. Harry Kane and Dele Alli are on scintillating form right now, and Spurs boast the best defensive line in English football. Nobody wants Chelsea to run away with the Premier League title, meaning most Premier League fans, at least for one day, are also Tottenham Hotspur fans.
A win today sends Spurs third in the table, stops Chelsea’s incredible run, and makes the title race interesting again. Let’s do this.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Walker, Dier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen, Dele, Kane. #COYS pic.twitter.com/c9Y0EESDIL— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 4, 2017
Subs: Vorm, Davies, Trippier, Wimmer, Sissoko, Winks, Son. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 4, 2017
Chelsea team tonight: Courtois; Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Cahill (c); Moses, Kante, Matic, Alonso; Pedro, Diego Costa, Hazard. #TOTCHE— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) January 4, 2017
How to Watch
Date/time: Wednesday, 8:00p.m. (UK), 3:00 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, London, UK
Official: Martin Atkinson
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports 1 (UK), TSN2, TSNGO (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!