Champions League matches don’t get much bigger than this. Tottenham Hotspur are in sunny Spain to take on Real Madrid at the historic Estadio Santiago Bernabeu. Madrid are two time defending European champions and are one of the best teams in the world. Spurs opened up their Champions League account with wins over Dortmund and APOEL, and if they can get any sort of result today in Madrid, they will be odds-on favorites along with Real to advance out of their group.
Match Date, Time and Location
Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 8:45 p.m. (Madrid), 7:45 p.m. (BST), 2:45 p.m. (ET)
Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain
Match official: Szymon Marciniak (POL)
United Kingdom: BT Sport 2
USA: Fox Sports 2
Australia: beIN Sports 1
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
They don’t come any tougher.
As Spurs fans, we’re used to being fatalistic. Hell, we trend towards predeterminism in our opinion that nothing, and I mean nothing, can keep us from pissing away all that is good and wonderful when it comes to our chosen club.
So we can be forgiven then if after the Champions League draw we looked at today’s fixture, threw up our hands, and mentally pencilled in a giant “L” on the schedule.
It’s Real Madrid. At the bloody Bernabeu.
And yet. What if? Gareth Bale is out with (another) calf injury. Tottenham have surprised teams before. Harry Kane is on an incredible run of form. And Danny Rose is back! Maybe, just maybe, if they defend like hell and hit back quick on the counterattack... could they just possibly... nick... a point?
It seems so unlikely, but that’s why you play the games. Coming out of these back to back Madrid games with any kind of result should be viewed as an accomplishment.
Just remember, nobody expected Spurs to beat the Milan teams in 2010, either. Damn the torpedoes! The Game is About Glory. And there would be NOTHING more glorious than beating this Madrid team at their own temple to modern football.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!