It’s the last match of 2017 for Tottenham Hotspur, as they host Southampton in a Boxing Day clash that could see them continue to re-establish their credentials as top four favorites. And for Harry Kane, it’s a chance to beat Alan Shearer’s 22-year old calendar-year goal scoring record, and maybe even nip Lionel Messi to the title of Europe’s top goal scorer of 2017.
Match Date, Time and Location
Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 7:30 a.m. (ET), 12:30 p.m. (BST)
Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Graham Scott
United Kingdom: Sky Sports Premier League
USA: NBC Sports Network
Canada: Sportsnet World/East/West/Pacific/Ontario
Australia: Optus Sport, SBS
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Happy Boxing Day!
The holiday season has seemingly always been kind to Tottenham Hotspur under Mauricio Pochettino. Despite a killer string of matches in a short period of time, Pochettino’s fitness regime often means that, even with rotation, his players aren’t as dogged as the teams they face.
Today they take on a struggling Southampton side that is winless in their last six matches. Claude Puel was not doing well at the beginning of the season, so Soton decided to return to what worked for them a few years ago — mainly, hiring a retired Argentine international central defender named Mauricio P.
Pellegrino isn’t Pochettino, but there are hopes that he can right the ship before the Saints slide into a possible relegation battle. It’ll be tough, though -- striker Charlie Austin is out with both an injury AND a suspension for violent conduct, which will make the job of getting a result at Wembley that much tougher.
For Spurs, all eyes will be on Harry Kane, who can set a new Premier League record for goals scored in a calendar year with one goal (over Alan Shearer), and can become Europe’s leading goal scorer in 2017 outright with two (over Leo Messi). My guess: wild horses won’t prevent Kane from putting at least one in the ol’ onion bag before the end of this match.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!