Tottenham Hotspur are expected to run out a heavily rotated team of reserve players and youth academy graduates today in what is a dead-rubber, meaningless Champions League match against APOEL today at Wembley Stadium. Why is it dead rubber? Because Spurs have already clinched first place in the Champions League Group of Death, that’s why. And doesn’t it feel great to say that?
Match Date, Time and Location
Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 2:45 p.m. (USA), 7:45 pm (UK)
Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom
Match official: Slavko Vinčić (SVN)
United Kingdom: BT Sport 3
USA: Fox Sports Plus, Fox Sports regional networks (check local listings), ESPN Deportes+ (Spanish)
Canada: Not televised
Australia: Not televised
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
This match doesn’t matter. Like, it literally makes no difference whatsoever. Tottenham have already clinched their group and progressed to the Champions League Round of 16, so it makes not an iota’s worth of importance in the grand scheme of things.
Mauricio Pochettino knows this, and while he won’t run out the entire U23 squad, he has already said he will rest Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen, Eric Dier, and Hugo Lloris. Dele Alli will play because he missed the first three games of the group stage. Youth teamers Kazaiah Sterling and Luke Amos will be in the match day squad. Everyone else? No clue.
So the pressure’s off. Winning is nice, but I don’t care if they get blown out of the water by an APOEL squad that can clinch Europa League participation with a win. Instead, I shall watch this match (delayed, tonight, after work) with the freedom of knowing that it’s a showcase for the younger members of the Tottenham squad.
You should too. COYS!
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!