November hasn’t been especially great to Tottenham Hotspur. While it saw them pick up big wins in the Champions League against Real Madrid and at Dortmund, Spurs got hit with the injury and exhaustion bugs and slumped to an anemic four points out of 12 during that month, (five out of 15 if you include last week’s draw vs. Watford). That run of form has seen Spurs slump to sixth in the table, three behind Arsenal and a staggering 18 behind league leaders Manchester City. It’s safe to say the title is probably out of reach, but Spurs can get back on track with a home win today over Stoke City at Wembley Stadium.
Match Date, Time and Location
Saturday, December 9, 2017, 3 p.m. (BST), 10 a.m. (ET)
Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Roger East
United Kingdom: not televised
Canada: TSN 4
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Welcome back, Big Kevin.
Kevin Wimmer was sold to Stoke City this summer. I’m not sure Son Heung-Min has forgiven them for it yet. He’s been a mainstay in Mark Hughes’ back line this season, and today will be the first time that he’ll return to face his bestie Son since his departure. Will there be fireworks? Will sparks fly? Will there be warm embraces before and after the match?
December was very, very good to Spurs last season after a miserable October and November. They righted the ship and took 12 points from the 15 Christmas holiday fixtures in that month, and started what would be a Spurs record nine-match unbeaten streak. This season feels slightly different though -- Spurs are still without defender Toby Alderweireld, and now will be without Davinson Sanchez for the next three matches after he was sent off against Watford. Thankfully, Eric Dier, Christian Eriksen, and Harry Kane all got rests midweek, which will hopefully recharge their batteries a bit. Spurs need a win, and they will need all three of them at their peak as they head into the holidays.
But watch that Son-Wimmer match-up. It might break Sonny’s heart a bit to juke Big Kev for the first of three goals today, but don’t think he won’t still do it.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!