I’ve rarely been so wary before a football match. Not nervous. That’s saved for the North London Derby. Not “abject terror” either, which generally rears its head ahead of your typical Chelsea match, or when you’re playing Real Madrid in the Champions League quarterfinals.
Instead there’s a deep, pervasive sense of foreboding that’s tickling my cerebral cortex and has been for a couple of days. It’s Liverpool. At Anfield. My lizard brain wants me to go have a stogie while pacing nervously, and I haven’t smoked since college.
It’s understandable. Tottenham hasn’t gone into Anfield and come away with three points since May of 2011. It’s one of those places, like Stamford Bridge, or Old Trafford pre-2012. All the narrative is leaning towards a Spurs victory, but this is Tottenham. Got a narrative that’s that says Spurs are likely going to do something positive? Hold my beer.
That said, it’s not like Liverpool’s all that confident either. They haven’t won yet in the new year. They lost to Swansea and Hull, ferchrissake! They’re probably going to start Lucas in central defense! If you’re a Spurs fan, optimism should abound
Ignore all that. What we will get are two clubs with tactics that are, if not in the same wheelhouse, definitely on the same boat. It’ll be a gegenpressapalooza and either these clubs will score eight goals today or it’ll end up a bore draw. Spurs will hope their defense, missing Danny Rose and Jan Vertonghen, will remain stout enough to stop Roberto Firmino, Coutinho, and Sadio Mane from scoring at will. Liverpool will be hoping their makeshift defense can stop ANYBODY.
Meanwhile, I’m heading out for a smoke. COYS.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Davies, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Kane. #COYS pic.twitter.com/6b3ar528sn— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 11, 2017
Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Winks, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 11, 2017
Confirmed #LFC starting XI and substitutes to face @SpursOfficial #LIVTOT pic.twitter.com/5lUWRzBsnS— Liverpool FC (@LFC) February 11, 2017
How to Watch
[Editor’s note: the big news in soccer broadcasting this week in the USA is that fubo.tv is now offering a new streaming package that includes access to the NBC family of networks, including NBC Sports Network. NBC is offered in some markets (but not all), and the service is currently in beta. A link is included below.]
Date/time: Saturday, 5:30 p.m. (UK), 12:30 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Anfield, Liverpool, UK
Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: NBC (United States), BT Sport 1, BBC Radio (UK), TSN1, TSNGO (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA), fubo.tv (free 24 hour trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!