Here we go. Tottenham Hotspur host Belgian club Gent in the second leg of their Europa League Round of 32 match-up, and there’s work to be done.
As we know, despite fielding a strong team, Spurs came out flat in Belgium and limped home with a 1-0 loss to the eighth-place team in the Jupiler Pro League. Ouch.
But there are reasons to be optimistic. For starters, Spurs will be playing at, if not home at least something close to it, in a sold-out Wembley Stadium. And before anyone tells me that Spurs don’t win in Wembley this year, most pundits have conveniently forgotten the 3-1 shellacking Tottenham gave to CSKA Moscow in what was essentially a Europa play-in match.
Secondly, Jan Vertonghen is back, which reunites the best center back combo in the Premier League. Sure, Danny Rose is still injured, but having 3⁄4 of the defensive band back together makes me feel much more confident that Spurs won’t concede a stupid away goal.
I expect Spurs will field a strong side, even three days before a league match against Stoke. They need to if they want to advance. Spurs need a clean sheet and two goals in order to advance, or they’ll have wasted their entire European campaign in 2016-17. Let’s not do that.
Subs: Vorm, Wimmer, Trippier, Winks, Sissoko, Son, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 23, 2017
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 8:05 p.m. (UK) 3:05 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Official: Manuel de Sousa (POR)
TV: Fox Sports 2 (United States), BT Sport 2 (UK), beIN Sports (Canada), beIN Sports 1 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: Fox Sports Go / Fox Soccer2Go, fubo.tv (free 7-day trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!