Yesterday was a pretty good day if you’re a Tottenham Hotspur fan, and Spurs didn’t even play. By virtue of Manchester United dropping points at home to Bournemouth, as well as Liverpool putting one over on Arsenal, Spurs have a real opportunity to put a little bit of space between themselves and two of their main competitors for top four.
But first they have to get past Everton, and that’s no small feat. The Toffees are firmly ensconced in seventh place and aren’t looking likely to get much higher before the end of the season, but they’re undefeated in 2017 and have Romelu Lukaku, who is on fire and is currently tied with Harry Kane atop the Premier League scorer’s table. Everton has a pretty good defense, a cromulent midfield, and a very good attack. They’re a good team.
That said, Spurs haven’t yet lost at home this season. That record may be tested today if one or both of Jan Vertonghen or Toby Alderweireld aren’t ready to play. Both left the Stoke City match last week with minor injuries, and both were to be assessed on Saturday, but were also expected to start. We’ll see what happens. Spurs are very, very good when their defense is healthy, but they tend to struggle when they have to make defensive adjustments.
Under Ronald Koeman, Everton are no longer a joke. Spurs will do well to come away with a win today. If they do, however, that’s one less very good team they have to worry about in their run in.
Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Sissoko, Winks, Son, Janssen. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) March 5, 2017
How to Watch
Date/time: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 1:30 p.m. (UK), 8:30 a.m. ET (USA)
Venue: White Hart Lane, London, UK
Official: Michael Oliver
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports 1/HD (UK), TSN2, TSNGO (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA), fubo.tv (free 7-day trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London,BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!