It would be the worst possible April Fools Day joke if Tottenham Hotspur lost to Burnley today at Turf Moor. But a lot of other teams have tried and only three have succeeded in taking three points from the Clarets at home. Maybe that’s the point: Burnley have made a lot of teams the butt of the joke when they came to Turf Moor, and Sean Dyche is looking to get the last laugh on Spurs today.
We know the game plan for Burnley against Spurs: sit deep, play compact, defend well, and kick long balls on the counter. It sounds an awful lot like Pulis-ball, and it’s worked, especially at home. It’ll be up to Tottenham then to try and break down a defense that has only allowed nine goals at home all season.
To do that, absent Harry Kane they will likely again rely on the fluid front three of Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, and Son Heung-Min. Vincent Janssen is a game-time decision after suffering through a chest infection that caused him to miss both Netherlands international games last week. Spurs’ back-three formation and wide wingbacks in Kyle Walker and Ben Davies may help pick that lock and provide width, while Eriksen and Alli look for that killer pass that sets up a good chance.
It’s probably not going to be an easy match. It might not be pretty. But if Spurs can get a result today, then the joke’s on Burnley.
Lineups will be posted when released by the clubs.
How to Watch
Date: Saturday, April 1, 3:00 p.m. (UK), 10:00 a.m. ET (USA)
Location: Turf Moor, Burnley, UK
Match Official: Stuart Attwell
TV: NBCSN (U.S.), not televised (UK), Sportsnet (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Premier League Extra Time (i.e. the “extra channels”) (USA), fubo.tv (7 day trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!