clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Spurs 3 - 1 Swansea: Three late goals see Tottenham complete an amazing comeback in Wales


Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images

I’m still processing what just happened.

For nearly 90 minutes it was one of the most frustrating matches of the season. And then everything changed.

Tottenham scored three very late goals to beat Swansea City 3-1 in Wales. It was a sensational comeback that begs belief. Our heroes were Dele Alli, Son Heung-min, and Christian Eriksen. Vincent Janssen also deserves credit for a brilliant assist on Sonny’s goal.

Much of the following was rewritten hastily after I ran around my house like a madman.

With injuries abound, Mauricio Pochettino faced a dilemma with his team selection.

The absence of Victor Wanyama forced Poch to line the team up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Eric Dier once again coming into midfield. Starts were also handed to Moussa Sissoko and Michel Vorm, as Hugo Lloris fell ill at the team hotel in Swansea. Vincent Janssen returned to the bench in favor of Son Heung-min.

Sloppy play from the Swans invited Spurs to break forward in the opening moments, but they were unable to take advantage of overwhelming numbers on the attack. A few minutes later they were made to pay for it.

A long ball from Lukasz Fabianski found Jordan Ayew as he broke away from Ben Davies. Davies failed to close him down, and Ayew squared the ball across for Wayne Routledge to tap it into the net. Despite their domination of possession, Pochettino’s side were down 1-0 early.

Paul Clement’s team responded by parking themselves firmly behind the ball. They restricted space, and much of the rest of the half saw Spurs controlling the ball but failing to find many openings.

A response was desperately needed in the second half, but it didn’t come until very late.

Instead, we originally saw more of the same from both teams. Swansea behind the ball, Spurs struggling to create any opportunities despite having much more possession.

On 61 minutes Pochettino tried to switch things up by bringing Janssen on for Sissoko, but intially there was only more frustration for the visitors.

Spurs fans everywhere held their heads low, as they thought they thought the game had gone.

Then on 88 minutes, it was all turned on its head.

Spurs found their equalizer. Eriksen hit a ball hard across the box, and Dele Alli turned up at the back post to finish.

There was a roar from the away end as the fourth official showed that there would be a whopping seven minutes of stoppage time.

Just a minute into added time, Tottenham turned the roar from the away end into something even louder.

Janssen played a brilliant back-heel on the edge of the area, which set Son up perfectly. Fabianski got a hand on the Korean’s shot, but it wasn’t enough to keep the net from bulging. Mayhem ensued behind the goal.

Look at those scenes. That looks like a “Glory, Glory” night to me.

Then Eriksen put the cherry on top a few minutes later. Dele played a beautiful ball forward on a counter attack, and our Great Dane simply slotted the ball past a diving Fabianski.

The game had gone from 1-0, to 3-1, in a matter of moments.

Most results elsewhere didn’t go our way, but it’s tough to care about that right now. Spurs won a game that we will all remember for a long, long time.